We have all been on the roads when we are either passing a semi tractor-trailer or they are passing us. Along the sides of the truck, there are almost four feet from the pavement to the bottom of the trailer. People are instinctively uncomfortable when they travel near trucks with open space between the front and rear tires. Cars can … and do go under the sides of trailers with deadly consequences hundreds of times every year.
WUSA9 recently began a series of reports on truck underride. Marianne Karth described the horrific crash that claimed the lives of her precious daughters, AnnaLeah and Mary. I also shared how a truck side underride claimed the life of my beloved daughter, Roya. Truck underride IS preventable! Every truck and trailer in the USA needs comprehensive underride protection. Let’s stop the truck underride carnage!
- Introduction by Eric Flack: A danger on the highway. . .
- Part 1 aired on July 13, “Mothers fight for tougher tractor trailer laws after daughters die in underride crashes”
- Part 2 aired on July 14, “Cost of a Life,”
- Part 3 aired on Tuesday, July 18, “Truck trailer rear guard rules have huge holes, safety experts say”
- July 18, “Big rigs, Big risks: Are rear truck guards enough?”
- Special Response to Comments on Social Media, July 19, “Rear underride accidents explained”
- Friday, July 21: “Powerful Senator joins calls for stronger semi-trailer underride guard laws”
- Friday, July 28: “Why don’t tractor trailers have side guards?“
- Wednesday, August 9: “Moms try to save lives but get caught in red tape on Capitol Hill”
- Thursday, August 10: “Big rigs, big risks: Congressional response“
- See all of the videos here: WUSA9 Underride Series Sheds Light on Deadly Truck Underride Tragedies & Solutions