How You Can Help Us Get Comprehensive Underride Protection On Trucks
CALL TO ACTION
I know that I can’t be the only person in this country (or the planet for that matter) who would like to see trucks made safer to drive around. So, for anyone else who would like to help get comprehensive underride protection on trucks in the U.S., here are some ideas:
- A PBS/Frontline documentary focused on underride will be aired on Tuesday, June 13, 2023, 10/9 Central. See the trailer here: America’s Dangerous Trucks. Spread the word!
- We launched a new online petition to take advantage of the national attention this broadcast will bring to the hidden problem of underride. Please sign & share: Secretary Pete, It’s Past Time To End Death By Underride!
- The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law includes an Underride Section. Now it’s up to the Department of Transportation to complete research and determine whether a side guard regulation is “warranted.” In April, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced members of the Advisory Committee on Underride Protection. The first ACUP meeting was on May 25. This diverse group, with both industry and safety advocates represented, will be making recommendations to Secretary Pete/NHTSA about how to end Death By Underride.
- At the same time, NHTSA published an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) for a potential side guard regulation. Add your voice to our message. Submit a Public Comment here in support of requiring side guards on all new trucks — by July 20. Help us to bring this long-overdue rule to the finish line.
Thank you for being a part of TEAM Underride!
Other ways to be involved:
- See some of the thousands of underride tragedies at Underride Crash Memorials and #STOPunderrides. To add more information to these stories or to add other underride crashes to be remembered, send an email to email@example.com. Please use this Interactive Underride Crash Map Crash Location Input Form to provide us with accurate information . (Note: the map is currently not online; but we would keep the information for future updating and to aid in underride advocacy efforts.)
- Support side guard research projects, which will help get affordable and effective side guards on the market.
- Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to find out how you can help TEAM Underride make truck crashes more survivable.