This documentary chronicles and exposes the indifference by DOT to prevent underride crashes.
Links to PBS/Frontline documentary – America’s Dangerous Trucks – & ProPublica articles:
- ProPublica: New Investigation by ProPublica and FRONTLINE Reveals How Regulators and Lobbyists Blocked Measures to Prevent Deadly Crashes
- PBS/Frontline: What Is An Underride Crash And Why Is It So Dangerous?
- PBS/Frontline: She Lost Two Daughters in a Deadly Truck Crash a Decade Ago and Has Advocated For Stronger Regulations Since
- ProPublica: Trapped Under Trucks
- The documentary is available for viewing on the PBS/Frontline website.
- The documentary is also available as a YouTube video: America’s Dangerous Trucks (full documentary) | FRONTLINE https://youtu.be/1LyaWzOesXk
- Twitter Thread from ProPublica: Underride crashes — when a passenger vehicle collides with a semi truck & slides beneath it — kill hundreds of Americans a year. A ProPublica/FRONTLINE investigation reveals how safety regulators repeatedly failed to collect accurate data or take action to protect passengers
- SDPB South Dakota Public Radio Talk Show interview with correspondent/producer A.C. Thompson. Listen here: New documentary explores how to prevent underride crashes
- KSTX Texas Public Radio Talk Show interview. Listen here: PBS Frontline investigates “America’s Dangerous Trucks”
- WGVU Midday West Michigan Radio Talk Show interview. Listen here: FRONTLINE premiers: America’s Dangerous Trucks
- Apple News Today – Podcast – Failures to stop a deadly threat to cars from 18-wheelers, June 16
Technology is available to protect motorists from death by underride. NHTSA must adhere to its mission – PROTECT THE MOTORING PUBLIC!!
NHTSA’s mission statement:
Our mission is to save lives, prevent injuries, and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards, and enforcement.
Sign & Comment on the 2023 STOP Underrides Petition: